As we work with clients to learn more about their design aspirations, we’ll often suggest custom furnishings rather than retail. This can sometimes lead to a panicked look. But it’s our job to explore all available options to make sure they’re getting the most value for their investment. At times, this means encouraging them to step out of their comfort zone to see all the possibilities.
After we explain the advantages of custom pieces – including how the pricing is often very competitive to that of local retailers– clients get really excited about the idea of furnishings crafted exactly for their needs. Is your spouse tall? Maybe you need a sofa with a slightly higher back. Need extra room to seat everyone during the holidays? Consider a table with extra leaves. The beauty of custom is that it’s designed just for your and your family.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should consider going custom.
1. COMPETITIVE PRICING: People often associate the word “custom” with expensive but it’s not necessarily the case. By using furniture builders that sell directly to the design community, we are able to ensure high quality pieces at prices competitive to local retailers like Ethan Allen, Crate and Barrel, and Restoration Hardware. With upholstered pieces, we can manage cost through fabric selection and still guarantee that your piece is built to last.
2. TRUE PERSONALIZATION: By designing one-of-a-kind furnishings, we can personalize your pieces through sizes, finishes, fabrics, embellishments and hardware. Custom-made furniture can solve design challenges and fully maximize your living space. Upholstered furniture can also be crafted to your liking when it comes details like firmness, pitch and sizing. Custom is all about comfort and adaptability. We’ve even specified cushions and pillows with hypoallergenic fillings for clients with allergies.
3. BETTER QUALITY: Custom furnishings are made one-at-a-time by craftsman using high-quality materials as opposed to assembly line, mass-produced retail products. From hand-tailored upholstery, to 8-way hand-tied spring construction to frames made from kiln-dried hardwoods with doweled and glue fitted joints, these pieces are worthy of heirloom status and are built to last for generations.
4. DOMESTIC PRODUCTION: Many of our custom pieces are crafted in North Carolina and other East Coast states. Since these custom pieces are produced and shipped domestically, the chances of delays due to international shipping or damages that could occur during the shipping process are greatly reduced. But if something happens to go wrong, these companies have excellent, very accessible customer service and work with us to make it right.
5. GREEN BENEFITS: Several of our regional furniture companies have committed to minimizing the environmental impacts of furniture production. From using locally sourced wood to producing pillows filled with 100% recycled fibers made from plastic bottles, these companies have incorporating eco-friendly manufacturing practices. And since these well-made products aren't replaced after a few years, they won't end up in a landfill.
If you've made the decision to invest in transforming your living space into your dream home, consider going custom. It’s a great way to build lasting memories!